How to prevent cat peeing outside the litter box?

• Hello,

I've had my boy Dalton for years, and he always has trouble with his litter box. He has no trouble using it to defecate, but he tends to urinate elsewhere in the basement, usually somewhere else in or around the small room down there where his litterbox is located. I've tried everything, including keeping it clean and spraying enzymatic cleaner when he has one of his accidents outside of the box. Nothing seems to help. It's not a huge deal, but I thought I would ask here for any advice. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Kyle

• Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a small animal vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Omar. This can be a really frustrating situation.

I'd firstly want to rule out a medical cause such as a grumbling UTI, FLUTD, bladder stones or urinary crystals.

This will mean a vet check, urine analysis and bladder scan.

If there is a medical issue, treating this effectively should resolve the problem. 

Treatment may include anti inflammatories, bladder supplements and/or a prescription diet.

At home, ensure he always has access to 2 clean litter trays (assuming he is the only cat in the home).

Keep stress levels low by ensuring he has lots of physical and mental stimulation.

You're certainly doing the right thing by cleaning stains with an enzymatic cleaner and do continue to do this.