My female cat refuses to use her litter box

• She refuses to use a litter box .Instead she pees all over my bed and clothes.Help pleases

• I'm sorry you've been dealing with this issue with your cat, I know it can be incredibly frustrating.

Oftentimes inappropriate use of the tray or not using the tray is linked to anxiety or boredom and some cats are more likely to do it, particularly those are naturally nervous or who share their home with young children or other cats.

The rule of thumb is that there should be one tray per cat and one extra. So there should be 2 right now if she is the only kitty.

Trays need to be in areas of the home with low foot traffic, where she has privacy. They must not be near her food or water source.

Cats are often incredibly fussy and won't use a tray because it is dirty. so keeping the trays as clean as possible will help.

If you cannot do this due to e.g. work commitments or because she is always soiling at night, I'd invest in a self cleaning tray.

Some cats have a litter preference, so the answer can be as simple as changing the type of litter you use.

I think a Feliway plug in is worth trialling.

Ensure she has all of the resources she needs like a scratch post, hiding spot, cat tree etc.

Do also ensure we are introducing new games and things to keep her busy regularly. Good ideas include scenting games (find the treat), laser chasing, pouncing on toys, hiding in cardboard boxes etc.

All 'accidents' should be promptly cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, to eliminate the odour and prevent re-soiling.

We should never tell her off for accidents, as this increases anxiety and makes things worse.

Keep clothes off for and block access to your bedroom.

For further reading, this resource is very good:

https://icatcare.org/advice/soiling-indoors/#:~:text=A%20form%20of%20urinary%20tract,urinating%20outside%20the%20litter%20tray.

A final note; for some cats the issue is medical.

They may have a grumbling cystitis, low level urinary infection or urinary stones.

So if we are not seeing improvement, a vet check is sensible, which may include a urine analysis and bladder scan.

In some cases, a urinary diet and bladder supplements will be the key.