Safe Flea Treatment for Cat with Seizure Disorder

  • My 13-year-old indoor cat has been on Phenobarbital for frequent strong grand mal seizures for 9 years and has not had seizures since starting it.  We have fleas in the house for the first time (unknown source) and my 3 cats got a 5-day supply of Capstar from the vet.  What else should I do to safely treat the house and the cats?  I'm very afraid of causing her seizures to start back, especially since her paws have been twitching since starting the Capstar 3 days ago.  Thank you.

  • Hi there and thnaks for this question about flea treatment in your kitty.


    As Capstar has been provided, I would not give anything else and this should be effective for the fleas on the cats.


    Once all pets are treated, we need to move on to the environment.

    This has to be done on the same day. While 5% of the flea burden live on the pet, the remaining 95% are in the bedding,sofas etc.

    We need to hot wash bedding over 140'f, hoover thoroughly and use a flea spray such as Indorex or RIP Fleas to eliminate the issue. These sprays contain an Insect Growth Regulator, so work well. Sometimes this needs to be repeated a few weeks later in case any eggs/larvae have escaped the initial cleaning.


    As fleas carry tapeworm, do also ensure all cats are up to date with their wormer.

  • Thank you for your reply, Linda.  One of my cats has a history of grand mal seizures.  We need flea treatments without ingredients linked to seizures in some cats, such as peremethrin.  Do you know of any effective treatments without these ingredients? 

  • So we would steer clear of anything with Permethrin for any cat. It is toxic even in tiny amounts and should not be in any feline flea prevention.

    The ideal product for her will depend on which she best tolerates, but I'd trial one with Fipronil or Imidacloprid, as these are most commonly used and geneerally work well for most.

  • (duplicate)

  • (duplicate)

Please login to reply this topic!