4 year old cat losing hair on his right side

• I have a 4 yr old cat and he is losing hair on his right side and I was wondering if you can tell me what can cause that and what can I do about it

• I'm sorry to hear about this.

If he has a bald patch or visibly thinned fur, we know there is an issue here.

It is important to watch closely to see if he is overgrooming or scratching at this area and we want to examine the skin closely, chewing for any crust, scabs or ooze.

There can be many causes for fur loss including a flea allergy, mites, a fungal infection, a bacterial infection, seasonal allergies, a food allergy, over grooming due to cystitis or stress etc.

I'd ensure he is up to date with an effective flea and mite prevention.

I'd also monitor closely for any new signs such as peeing more often or stiff walking.

A vet check is wise to examine him and his skin and they may run some tests such as a fur pluck and flea comb, to check for any infection or parasites.

From home, use a Furminator or similar to groom him each day and remove any loose fur. This also spreads the natural oils along the coat.

If he is prone to fur balls, use a past such as Katalax to help them pass through.

If the skin is pink or scabby, we can bathe it daily with dilute Chlorhexidine or salt water.

Hopefully this resolves soon.