Thyroid problems and cat going outside the litter box

• My cat recently started pooping outside the box and his grooming has been lousy he has thyroid problems

• Hi there and thanks for your new question. I am sorry to hear this.

As he has thyroid problems, I'd want to know if his signs are well controlled. If he has ongoing diarrhea, this will be a common reason for pooping out of the tray.

Also, when an older cat is grooming less, we wonder about things like joint pain, which can make it hard for them to posture inside and use their tray.

If he has always used the tray well and this is a new issue, it is likely a knock on effect from his health issues.

It helps to have 2 wide trays available that are easily accessibly and have a low lip. They should be in areas he is comfortable using and not high up so he would have to jump.

Any 'accidents' need to be cleaned up quickly with an enzymatic cleaner, so he does not re-soil in the same spot.

A vet check is wise in case his thyroid medicine needs adjusting or if he may need additional medicine such as anti inflammatories for arthritis.

If stool is soft, it may also help to offer a bland diet and some probiotics.