Cat pooping right outside the litter box

• My cat decided it's ok to poop right outside his litter box. I scoop the box every morning. What am I doing wrong?

• I'm sorry you've been dealing with this issue with your cat, I know it can be incredibly frustrating.

Oftentimes inappropriate use of the tray or not using the tray is linked to anxiety or boredom and it will be more common in houses where cats share their home with other pets.

There could also be an issue with the litter tray(s) provided.

The rule of thumb is that there should be one tray per cat and one extra. So there should be 2 right now if he is the only cat in the house.

Trays need to be in areas of the home with low foot traffic, where he has privacy. They must not be near his food or water source.

Cats are often incredibly fussy and won't use a tray because it is dirty. so keeping the trays as clean as possible will help. I'd scoop any poo out as soon as you see it and do deep cleans more often if needed.

If you cannot do this due to e.g. work commitments or because he is always soiling at night, I'd invest in a self cleaning tray.

Some cats have a litter preference, so the answer can be as simple as changing the type of litter you use.

Ensure he has all of his own resources such as toys, a scratching post, hiding places etc.

Do also ensure we are introducing new games and things to keep him busy regularly. Good ideas include scenting games (find the treat), laser chasing, pouncing on toys, hiding in cardboard boxes etc.

All 'accidents' should be promptly cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, to eliminate the odour and prevent re-soiling.

We should never tell him off for accidents, as this increases anxiety and makes things worse.

If his stool is loose or sloppy, the issue could be medical and triggered by e.g. a colitis, parasites, infection or food allergy.

So a vet check is wise if the poo is not solid, if it contains blood or mucus or if he is passing poo more frequently than usual.

For further reading, this resource is very good:

https://icatcare.org/advice/soiling-indoors/ 

A final note; for some cats the issue is medical.

They may have a grumbling cystitis, low level urinary infection or urinary stones.

So if we are not seeing improvement, a vet check is sensible, which may include a urine analysis and bladder scan.

In some cases, a urinary diet and bladder supplements will be the key.