Help with male cat mounting on sister cat

• I have brother and sister fixed cats. The larger male mounts the smaller female all the time since I adopted them  as kittens 7 years ago. Hell chase his and fight her too.  Sometimes they sleep together but she is nervous and overgrooms her belly. Vet tried her on Prozac but made her slee all the time. Any recommendations?

• Hi there Laura, I am sorry to hear about this.

As this has been ongoing for 7 years, I'm afraid any quick fixes aren't likely and this will be the 'dynamic' both cats are used to.

My main priority would be ensuring they each have lots of their own space, hiding places and resources so they can have time apart when either wants. Most cats prefer to be 'lone rangers' and struggle to share their space.

It helps to have a range of beds, boxes and hideaways that they can use.

They should not have to share any resources e.g. water bowls, scratch posts, toys or litter trays.

For the male, I'd work on tiring him out physcially and mentally in more 'positive' ways. This may mean e.g. chasing a laser or wind up mouse, sniffing out hidden treats or using a cat exercise wheel.

A more natural option for calming the female would be a Feliway Friends plug in and some natural calming supplements such as zylkene.

I do hope this helps.

• Thank you for posting your question because I have the exact combination of cats and I adopted them when they were 7 years of age too!!!    I'll try out the answers you were given  Again thank you for posting your question!!!

• @Laura Brennan, Thank you for posting your question because I have the exact combination of cats and I adopted them when they were 7 years of age too!!!  I'll try out the answers you were give.  Again, thank you for posting your question!!!