Cat swallowed 6" piece of kitchen twine

  • Hi... Last week my little troublemaker got up on the counter and swallowed 6" piece of kitchen twine that a few minutes before was wrapped around a pork roast.  I saw it as the last inch was going down.  My vet didn't have an opening for 2 weeks, an online vet said to give him Metamucil.  Was able to get 1 dose down but now he's caught on and won't let me near him.  I keep checking the kitty litter and have not seen any twine....will it dissolve or do I have to worry about down the road an obstruction?   Thank you for any help you can provide. 

  • Hi there and thanks for this new question.


    I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean 'now he's caught on' but I will certainly try to help.


    Unfortunately a piece of twine like this is one of the most dangerous things a cat can eat, as it can cause the gut to wrap around itself and perforate. It is called a 'linear foreign body'.

    Symptoms we would be watching for would include:

    • Vomiting or retching
    • Diarrhoea or constipation
    • Bloating
    • Lethargy
    • Food refusal
    • Fever


    If he is not himself, he needs to be seen urgently.


    The vet can examine him and may perform an ultraosund or x-ray with contrast to see if the twine is within his stomach or intestine.

    He may now surgery to remove any foreign body.

    If he were to pass it in his stool we would have expected this to happen at this stage.

Please login to reply this topic!