Will a cat's behavior change after losing siblings?

• My 17 yr old cat lost his  siblings the end of last year .When should I be concerned about behavioral changes

• Hi Lee, this is Dr Linda, a vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your cats.

We do know that cats will grieve and this can include mild lethargy, temporary food refusal and less interest in being social and playing.

These signs should be mild and should not last more than a few weeks (though every cat reacts in their own unique way).

Given your cat is 17, any change in their temperament or behaviour should be looked into by a vet, to ensure we're not missing an underlying medical issue.

• @Linda Simon I di make an appointment for a senior exam just to make sure thanks

• @Linda Simon  I am sorry for your loss.  

I had a pair of nine year old bonded littermates.  The brother (Luke) became ill and needed to be euthanized. 

The sister (Daisy) because very vocal (looking for him), and then became very clingly.  She also behaved like then when he was hospitalized two years ago.

She now sleeps on my pillow with my (have now added additional pillows to allow room).  She pretty much stays there most of the night.  Ironically, we have had fire alarms go off at night and she stays there because I will protect her - prior to that, she would hide.