Recommendation or things that a new cat would need to make my home, theirs?

• Hi there Tuft and Paw family! My name is Maya and I'm a soon to be cat Mom! For reference, I lost my cat last year due to cancer and it's taken awhile but I'm ready to adopt a new resuce cat and give one a forever home. 
    One of the cats I was going to adopt from our local humane society got adopted as soon as I left from meeting him so I figured I'd get everything ready for the new addition so when I pick him/her, they'll be ready to go but for some reason I feel like a complete novice! 

I've already purchased the Really Great Cat Litter and have that on the way as I wanted to start the cat on the litter versus transitioning somewhere in the middle and I'm going to go ahead and order the Tuft + Paw litter box set as well but outside of food and water, I feel like I'm missing something. 

Does anyone have any good recommendation or things that a new cat would need to make my home, theirs? 

Thank you!

• Hey Maya!

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved cat and I'm glad you have decided to bring a new furry friend to your home soon.

It's great you're keen to have everything set up, so they settle in well. There is no doubt that some cats take longer to feel 'at home' than others and many will hide away, become skittish or refuse food (at least for a few days).

I'd recommend getting a calming plug in that releases 'happy pheromones' so your new cat feels good when in the home. Feliway is a well known one.

It's also a great idea to have a couple of 'safe spaces' or hiding places where the new cat can go if feeling overwhelmed. This can be e.g. a bed on top of a cat tree or even a cardboard box in a quiet room of the home.

Ensure you've got a scratching post and mat, as well as some toys and perhaps catnip, if he new addition likes this.

To keep him busy, it can be nice to have some 'food puzzles' and feilne brain games. If he is a bit worried in the first few weeks, having things to do should help him feel more relaxed.

Wishing you all the best on this new adventure!

• @Maya Stowers how do I get a outdoors cat used to using a liver box