Cat has chronic sinus drainage and sneezing along with it. Suggestions?

• This is a cat I Fostered.   He has a congenital issue causing less lung space.  I have been told this condition is not causing this.   He is not sick.  He is not yet a yr. yet.

• Hi Ginger,

If your cat has already been evaluated by a veterinarian, could there be a chance this was caused by allergies?

Cats can have food and / or environmental allergies that can lead to this symptoms. If your vet has ruled out any deeper issues going on, then allergy management may be good to look into! 

• @Shannen Standiford 

My new adopted kitten sneezes and has a watery eye. They seem to think it is a cold. I think they are wrong 3 bottles of antibiotics later no changes I think it is allergies.

• Hi @ Ginger.

By sinus draining, if you mean discharge from the nose, we'd consider Cat Flu, allergies (causing chronic rhinitis), a nasal polyp, a foreign body in the nose etc.

I'd agree this would not be expected to be caused by a congenital decrease in his lung space.

I'd want to swab the discharge and perhaps put a little camera (rhinoscope) up to check for any issues.

• Hi @ Bridgett, 

This sounds like typical Cat Flu, which is very common in rescues and those who have been in shelters or whose mothers were not vaccinated.

As these are viral infections (like Herpes and Calici) they often will not respond to antibiotics I'm afraid.

Allergies are rare in young kittens, and almost unheard of in those under 6 months of age.

I'd be asking for some swabs here. If this is cat flu, we generally manage flare ups with supportive care and most cats do very well.

• Is there anything I can do to treat my babygirl at home. I'm on a fixed budget and the vets here are very expensive. I love my baby very much and without her I think I'm depression would worsen. Any advice will be greatly appreciated 👍

• Hi Rhonda and thanks for your query.

I presume it is that your kitten has sneezing and discharge from their nose?

If so, a vet visit is important so we can determine why and check for e.g. an active infection or any signs of oral inflammation, nasal polyps, blocked tear ducts or allergies.

From home we can:

• Gently clear any discharge with cotton wool and warm water
    • Keep the room well ventilated and free of e.g. dust and smoke
    • Monitor closely for any other signs such as oral ulcers, drooling, lethargy or food refusal
    • Offer tempting foods like warm fish, chicken or egg if the blocked nose affects her appetite
    • Keep her well hydrated, and add water to meals if needed

As I say though, a vet visit is important and it may be she needs some prescription medicine here.

If costs are a concern, please discuss this with her vet so they can keep costs down. They may also know of local charity options you can use.