11 year old American shorthair cat poops everywhere

• My 11 yr old cat American shorthair poops everywhere and only sometimes in box. Ever since my soulmate died of stroke 2 yrs ago (it was his cat) and moved to.household with lots of cats this has been going on. We have several automatic cat litter boxes and others. I have one other cat who.is starting to do same. However, my.older cat (11) has had surgery and had infected eye removed and dental surgery (costly) recovered quick- think he has thyroid issues as has hearty appetite and looks thinner. 

• Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your partner.

We'd wonder if these issues are medical or behavioural.

Anything causing loose stool or digestive trouble can lead to pooping outside of the tray.

So, it is wise to organise a vet check for a full exam. This may include some basic diagnostic tests such as a stool analysis and blood test.

If he does have a medical issue, treating this could resolve the problem.

We do find cats struggle more with using trays in a multi cat home.

The rule of thumb is that there should be 1.5 trays per cat. So, for example, a home with 4 cats would need 6 trays.

Be sure any soiled areas of the home are cleaned quickly with an enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell and prevent re soiling.

It is important we never tell the cat off for pooping outside of the tray, as this can cause anxiety and may make the issue worse.