8 year old cat will not poop in the litter box

• My cat is about 8 years old.  Male.  He will not poop in the litter box.  I have tried different types of litter.

What is wrong with this guy?

• Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a small animal vet.

I'm sorry you are having this issue with your boy.

If this is a new problem, I'd want to know if the poop is solid and if he is pooping more frequently than usual. Any sort of diarrhoea or gut inflammation can lead to pooping outside of the tray.

I'd also want to know if anything has changed recently that could cause stress e.g. a house move, a new pet or a new person in the home. 

If nothing has changed and the poop is solid and being passed as normal, I'd consider another issue such as joint pain making it hard for him to posture.

A general check up is sensible, so we can make sure there is no medical problem here.

Do ensure he has access to 2 clean litter trays (assuming he is the only cat) at all times. I'd want them to be nice, large trays with a shallow lip that is easy to get up into.

He should have privacy and some cats prefer trays with a roof.

Any soiled areas should be cleaned well with an enzymatic cleaner to prevent re-soiling.

• I recused him and his sister really early (mom must have died).  I have 2 boxes, he will poop right in front of the box.  Then pull litter from the box to cover it.  Thanks