What can I give a 25 yr old cat to get rid of fleas?

• What can I give a 25 yr old cat to get rid of fleas? I am afraid commercial products would be too harsh and dangerous for her age.

• Hi Theresa, 

Firstly, congratulations to your cat for reaching this golden age. Well done! 

I can certainly understand your concerns with using commercial products on her during this time. Many online remedies suggest using certain essential oils, such as rosemary or lemongrass diluted with water, to tackle fleas as an alternative. While these maybe effective to some degree, I would not recommend them at her age. 
    Dish soap, various spices, apple cider vinegar etc..have all been suggested but can have harmful side effects if used directly on the skin and/or if she accidentally ingests them. 

If she will allow, I believe your best option would be to invest in a suitable flea comb and give her a daily gentle combing. If you catch the fleas in the comb - have a bowl of hot water nearby to throw them into. 
    This will have the added benefit of assisting her with her daily grooming routine and keeping her coat healthy. As well as reaching areas she may not be able too. 

If she is not a fan of the comb, consider a trip to your local veterinarian to discuss any other ideas they may have. 

• Hi there,

To add my viewpoint on this, I would not hesitate to use a prescription spot on, even at this age.

There is no reason to expect any issues in seniors and these products are safe and effective even in older cats.

Prescription spot ons provided by your vet are the best option.

To ensure they work well, we must treat any in contact animals as well as the environment at the same time. 

Up to 95% of the flea burden live off the cat and in the home. Due to this, we should:

• Hoover daily
    • Use a flea spray containing IGR such as Indorex or RIP fleas
    • Hot wash all bedding and blankets at a high temperature

As fleas carry tapeworm, do ensure your kitty is also up to date with their wormer.

Hopefully we can get on top of this soon.