Cat attacks me when I leave the house

• My 2 year old cat LJ recently began attacking me every time I try to leave the house. He first flings himself in front of the door in an attempt to block me, then when I proceed forward, he bites and scratches. 

• Hi there, I am Linda, a small animal vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I am sorry you've been having this issue with LJ.

Most often, this sort of behaviour is indicative of a cat who gets anxious when we leave and has 'separation anxiety'.

They pick up on the cues when we're getting ready to go out (gathering keys, putting coat on, turning switches off) and their stress levels spike. This can (rarely) lead to behaviours like attacking us.

There are a range of things we can try which might help in the short term:

• Before going out, tire LJ out mentally and physically as much as you possibly can with things like laser chasing, scenting games, feather toys, cat nip etc.
    • Provide something for him to do when you are about to go e.g. a Trixie cat activity board
    • Use a calming plug in or collar e.g. Adaptil
    • Start him on some calming supplements like Zylkene
    • Leave the radio or TV on low for him while you are away.

Some cats will  benefit from the input of a behaviourist.

They can assess LJ at home and make a more tailored plan for him.

For some cats, they may need prescription anxiolytic medicine like Fluoxetine, which the vet can issue.

For now, to keep you safe, I'd have him in another room while you get ready and go.

• @Linda Simon .. ohhhh.. wow. That makes a lot of sense. I rescued him 2 1/2 months ago from a family that had him since birth, as they were getting evicted from their house. I wonder if that had anything to do with his behavior... I will immediately implement all of your advice.. hopefully it will work. I feel bad for him! Thank you so very much for your time and valuable input! 

• Not at all and I really do hope this helps!