Cat randomly used bathtub instead of litter box

• Recently adopted a 7 mo old female cat. She used the litter box routinely. Then one day she started pooping in the bathtub. I put her in the cat playpen with litter box to train her.

currently, all the bathtubs have 2"water to prevent further mishaps  

what caused this?

• Hi there and thnaks for this question.

Usually this behaviour will be due to anxiety or stress, though can also occur due to a medical reason, such as gut inflammation and diarrhea.

I'd look into if anything has changed recently; such as a new pet, altered routine or noisy construction work nearby.

She should have access to 2 clean trays at all times but I would not restrict her to one area (such as a playpen) which may make any anxiety worse.

For some cats, they have a litter preference, so changing litter can help. Similarly, they may prefer a certain type of tray (such as one with a roof).

She should always have access to 2 clean litter trays that are in quiet spots of the home where she has privacy.

Most cats wan to use a litter tray and be clean, so once we address any underlying problem, we'd hope this resolves soon. 

Any places that have been soiled should be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, to eliminate the smell and help prevent re soiling.

• My girl cat has stopped usuing the litter box. She has some arthritis in her back legs. My vet sugessed

a litter box with her problem but, I don't know where to find them.